Electricity Bill OCR
This article walks you through the building process of an OCR API that extracts data from Electricity Bills using our deep learning engine. It will work for any bank company or bank statement template.
- You’ll need a free beta account. Sign up and confirm your email to login.
- You’ll need at least 20 Electricity Bill images or pdfs to train your OCR.
Define your Electricity Bill use case
First, we’re going to define what fields we want to extract from your Electricity Bill.
- Electricity Provider: The electricity provider name
- Customer Name: The full name of the customer
- Account Number: The account number of the client
- Bill Date: The bill issued date
- Amount: The total due for this month
- Phone number: The customer's phone number
- Service Address: The customer's address related to the electricity bill
That’s it for our use case. Feel free to add any other relevant data to fit your requirements.
Deploy your API
Once you have defined the list of fields you want to extract, head over to the platform and press the ‘build a new endpoint’ button.
You land now on the setup page. Here is the image you can use for setting up the API, and my setup looks like this:
Once you’re ready, click on the “next step” button. We are going to specify the data types for each of the fields we want our API to extract.
To go further, you can download this json config to set up your data model or do it manually.
Electricity provider: type String that never contains numeric characters.
Customer name: type String that never contains numeric characters.
Account Number: type String that never contains alpha characters.
Bill Date: type Date with US format.
Amount Due: type Number without specifications.
Phone Number: type Phone Number.
Service address: type String without specifications.
Once you’re done setting up your data model, press the Data model ready? start training button at the top of the screen.
Train your Electricity Bill OCR
You’re all set!
Now is the time to train your Electricity Bill deep learning model in the Training section of our API.
In a few hours (minutes if you're fast), you’ll get your first model trained and will be able to use your custom OCR API for parsing Electricity Bill in your application.
To get more information about the training phase, please refer to the getting started tutorial. If you have any questions regarding your use case, feel free to reach out!